Backpackers may be the loneliest people while traveling or they may surround themselves with new friendships – that depends on each person’s attitude and character. But being a backpacker in Albania is totally different from any other country, and here are the reasons why:
- You will never feel lonely. Albanians are such friendly people; they might even start talking first to you (just to say Hello for no reason). In case you need help, they will do anything to give help. You are pretty safe in this Mediterranean small and hospitable country.
- Albania is heaven for backpackers. You can visit two or three cities in one day, reach your destinations inside a city by walking (people use public transportation mostly and avoid cabs because the distances are small. You will see so many people walking in the city streets.)
- Don’t talk to girls unless they talk to you first (if you are a male). Albanian girls are very pretty but sometimes they are very shy when it comes to speak with foreigners. Sometimes you might even get in trouble.
- Cheap hostel, cheap food and beer! Albania is a small country with a modest GDP so your trip (per one week for example), will not cost more than $300- $700.
- You can try homemade “raki”. Raki is a homemade alcohol drink which contains high levels of alcohol. Is the traditional alcoholic drink Albanians used to consume since many decades and still it remains their favorite drink (but it is mostly consumed by males).
- You will need your tent! Albania is very rich in natural parks, a beautiful and unspoiled coastline and a pristine nature in remote villages where the old traditions are still being practiced by locals.
Photo credits: Davide Vadala