TIRANA, February 14
The first museum in Albanian was established in Shkodra on February 14, 1880, by the Jesuit Fathers. The main items in the museum were archeological objects, a numismatic collection, old rare weapons, Albanian traditional clothes, and other objects from world cultures. The Jesuit fathers also created a botanical and an ethnographic museum.
Father Shtjefen Gjecovi, known as the collector of the Lek Dukagjini Code, gave a major contribution to the enrichment of the museum collection. He had created a fund of over 500 archeological objects. Many of those objects now are found in other major European museums in London, Berlin, Rome, etc.
Read also: How did Albania Look like One Century Ago?
Photo: Old image of Shkodra from the Purger Postcard collection from Albania during 1914-1918