What is data conversion?
Data conversion is the process of converting all manual data into digital format. As an organization progresses, its database grows with the stockpile of immense and diverse data accumulated over the years. It cannot part away with this data and information, as they are crucial to future references, audit, accounting, and functional guidance.
They can use the data conversion process to streamline organizational data and improve its access and sharing through a structured database. It helps identify redundant data and segregate them. The digitalization exercise also helps in categorizing data according to its importance, year, section, or nature of use.
Data conversion into digital format improves the storage options and prevents their loss. Digitalized data can be saved in computers or servers, allowing better use of office space. Electronic storage also offers better security options through limited access and effective data management at a low-cost. Again, the data could be easily shared and quickly shared on network computers. It also improves accessibility. One can easily search and access digital data compared to books and journals.
Data conversion offers the best way to manage, maintain, and utilize the data of an organization. It enables development for data storage and sharing while minimizing the chance of data loss. Data conversion is one of the areas in the field of data entry that is emerging as a high-growth service. The outsourcing of data conversion services is a priority for many global companies.
Data conversion can be done in these digital formats:
Electronic Document Management conversion (EDM conversion)
Benefits of Data Conversion
Data conversion has many benefits and the primary ones have to do with data storage in an electronic format.
- Converting data from an unstructured format into an electronic one. This is a form of data format conversion. This would help in structuring the data into coherent and meaningful information.
- Aggregating data from traditional sources like paper and file-based formats into digital formats. Data entry conversion thus prevents data loss for any organization.
- Digital imaging conversion that stores the images in a digital format. This is used for the identification and recognition of individuals and their records.
- Converting PDF documents into MS Word formats and vice versa. This is one of the services offered for book conversion and is accepted as a huge benefit in the world of publishing.
Why outsource data conversion?
Data conversion can be outsourced to a third-party vendor to reduce costs and ensure a quick turnaround time. There are many good reasons for this. Some of them are:
Outsourcing data conversion has obvious cost advantages due to the availability of highly skilled manpower at affordable rates.
- Easily convert all documents into digital formats
You can convert data from whichever format you have into an electronic one easily and effectively by engaging the services of outsourcing providers.
- Save on resources
Outsourcing data conversion saves the trouble of hiring otherwise expensive resources in your home country. This is due to the wage differential between western countries and poorer countries.